This post may contain affiliate sales links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
This apple cider whiskey sour fully embraces all the fall flavors. This easy-to-make cocktail brings together the warmth of whiskey and the tangy goodness of apple cider, creating a perfect blend of flavors. It’s a go-to drink for anyone who appreciate a simple yet tasty cocktail experience. Whether you’re a whiskey enthusiast or just looking for a cozy drink, this Apple Cider Whiskey Sour is sure to hit the spot.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
This fall inspired cocktail is easy to make, requiring just a few simple ingredients and a cocktail shaker.
In the printable recipe below, you can find a complete list of ingredients and measurements.
- Whiskey: We used bourbon whiskey which has a sweet and smokey flavor but you can use your favorite brand of whiskey or bourbon. Normally, the better the whiskey the better the cocktail – in this case you can get away with a value brand.
- Apple Cider: We are using a high-quality, unsweetened cranberry juice that’s not from concentrate. This is not your everyday Ocean Spray cranberry cocktail. If you do substitute this with a cranberry cocktail, double the amount you add and you’ll probably not need any additional sweetener. The cranberry flavor won’t come through as clearly, so it may be worth a purchase of the real stuff.
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Simple Syrup: We like to use brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup in this recipe for its added warmth and spice. You can substitute a regular simple syrup but you will be missing out on some flavor.
How to Make a Apple Cider Whiskey Sour
Here are the quick step-by-step instructions with visuals; you can find the full instructions with the exact ingredients in the recipe card below.
Pro-tip: This cocktail is easy to make ahead of time and can be made in batches, making it perfect for parties.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Simple Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved, let it simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from simple syrup from the heat and allow it to cool. Once it has cooled, strain out the cinnamon sticks. Transfer the simple syrup into a bottle or jar, using a funnel if needed. For more tips on making brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup check out this post.
Apple Cider Whiskey Sour: Fill two glasses with ice cubes. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice then add the bourbon or whiskey, apple cider, and brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup. Shake the mixture vigorously for about 15 seconds to chill the ingredients and aerate the mixture. Using a cocktail strainer, pour the mixture into the glasses over the ice. Garnish each glass with a apple slices and a cinnamon sticks.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- For a sweeter cocktail, add more brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup to taste.
- For a more festive presentation, you can rim the glass with cinnamon sugar before adding the cocktail.
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you can use a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Other Cocktail Recipes to Try
If you enjoy this holiday cocktail recipe, we recommend checking out some of these:
Let’s Connect! If you make this recipe or any other recipe on Casual Epicure, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It helps others who are considering making our recipes and we love hearing about your cooking experiences. And if you snapped some shots, share them on Instagram, and be sure to tag @casual.epicure so we can feature them in our stories.
Apple Cider Whiskey Sour
- 1 Cocktail Shaker
- 1 Cocktail Strainer
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 2 ounces apple cider
- 1 ounce brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup
- apple slices, for garnish
- cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Fill two glasses with ice cubes.
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine whiskey, apple cider, and brown sugar cinnamon simple syrup.
- Shake the mixture vigorously for about 15 seconds to chill the ingredients.
- Strain the mixture into a prepared glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with apple slices and a cinnamon stick.