This post may contain affiliate sales links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclaimer policy for details.
There are few things better than Thanksgiving leftovers. We strategically plan for extra helpings to ensure plenty of turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce for making the ultimate Thanksgiving sandwich. This double-decker sandwich pays homage to Ross’ sandwich named the “Moist Maker,” from the 1998 episode of Friends, which has a middle slice of bread soaked in rich, delicious turkey gravy.
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
Keep a serving or two of Thanksgiving dinner and you will have everything you need.
The complete ingredient list and measurements are listed in the printable recipe below.
- Leftover Turkey: Any combination of white and/or dark meat will work.
- Leftover Dressing: Might seem excessive to put dressing on a sandwich that already has three slices of bread but this sandwich is all about being indulgent so don’t leave it off. We recommend either our Southern Cornbread Dressing or Jim’s family dressing recipe.
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce: Use either homemade or store-bought – even the jellied canned stuff will work. Our go-to is this Orange Cranberry Sauce.
- Leftover Gravy: The best gravy will be homemade from turkey drippings but there is decent jarred turkey gravy that will do in a pinch.
- Bread: For a double-decker sandwich, you will need something thick and sturdy. We used thick-sliced sourdough bread.
How to Make a Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich
Here are the quick step-by-step instructions with visuals; you can find the full instructions with the exact ingredients in the recipe card below.
Pro-tip: Something helpful that we may have discovered during recipe development.
1. Create the First Layer: On one slice of bread spread a small amount of mayonnaise then add the lettuce leaves and sliced turkey.
2. Create the Gravy Layer: Pour gravy on a plate that is just slightly larger than a piece of bread. Dip a slice of bread in the gravy flipping it over to get both sides thoroughly saturated. Place it on top of the sliced turkey.
3. Create the Final Layer: On top of the gravy-soaked piece of bread add stuffing then cranberry sauce. Spread the final piece of bread with mayo and add it on top of the sandwich. Slice and enjoy.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- This sandwich is a cold sandwich so you don’t need to warm up the turkey or dressing, but you could warm up the gravy.
- The layers can be switched around but don’t layer the cranberry sauce next to the gravy layer.
Let’s Connect! If you make this recipe or any other recipe on Casual Epicure, please don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It helps others who are considering making our recipes and we love hearing about your cooking experiences. And if you snapped some shots, share them on Instagram, and be sure to tag @casual.epicure so we can feature them in our stories.
Other Recipes to Try
If you enjoy this recipe, we recommend checking out some of these:
- Leftover Turkey Pot Pie with Puff Pastry
- Thanksgiving Charcuterie Board
- Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole
Leftover Thanksgiving Sandwich
- 3 slices bread
- 1 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup cranberry sauce
- 6 ounces roasted turkey, sliced
- ½ cup stuffing
- 2 green leaf lettuce leaves, optional
- ½ cup turkey gravy
- Spread a small amount of mayonnaise on a slice of bread then add the lettuce leaves and sliced turkey.
- Dip a slice of bread in gravy and place it on top of the turkey.
- Add the stuffing then the cranberry sauce then spread the final piece of bread with mayo and add it on top of the cranberry sauce.
- Slice and enjoy.